white pumpkin made out of an old sweater

• Topic
  • krisann22 #44706

I got this idea off of another person’s blog, found it so cute had to do one right away. Made from an old sweater stuffed with old holey socks and cotton. I think her blog goes under hummadeedledee and she has a tutuorial on how to make them.

[attachment id=20181,3294] [attachment id=20181,3295]

• Discussion
  •  Anonymous #81809

great !! also love the crocheted rocks..did you do them?? i made a couple..i just love them !

•  Anonymous #81786

Jill, love your blog. It’s one of my favorites. I have a whole tub full of old wool sweaters that DD2 felted and left, wonder if I could make pumpkins out of them(?) also love your rocks!

•  Anonymous #81785

JILLRUTH!!!! i LOVE your mirror in the blog behind pumpkins, it’s absolutely gorgeous!!! where did you find that??

also, love the pumpkins made from feed sacks….never thought of that! the orange one is most amazing!!

you are so doggone talented!!!

•  Anonymous #81784

Jill, thanks for posting. I’ve seen these before but your tutorial is much easier to try. I think I will have an assortment of pumpkins (sweater, books, oil cans) in my patch.

•  Anonymous #81778

I posted some of mine today on my blog. You can see them here:

http://www.jillruth.com

•  Anonymous #81757

i saw some at springfield but dyed orange…some were made from old fall colored sweaters and some from bedspreads… they were neat…

ann

http://www.greenoakantiques.com

•  Anonymous #81721

Just bought some sweaters from a garage sale to make some pumkins!

•  Anonymous #77166

Deb, Love your blog and if I knew how to link I would have linked your swaeter pumpkins but all I could do was mention your name. You’re very creative and give me lots of ideas. Thanks for sharing.

•  Anonymous #77161

I followed the box info for how long to bake – it wasn’t long enough – I baked a 9×9 pan for 38 minutes – should have been a lot longer or maybe make the muffins as the recipe suggests. It was very tasty and way too gooey

•  Anonymous #77159

Copper,

I just read your recipe! Since I am very fond of devil’s food cake mix AND pumpkin, I will give it a whirl. I would like to even attempt to bake this as a cake–using a 9″ x 13″ pan. Any further instructions or a guess on how long to bake?

Greta

•  Anonymous #77156

Krisann and Copperhead, thank you so much for the mention and link… I do appreciate it!

I have several posts on my blog, Hummadeedledee, about these pumpkins… I originally created them in 2007, posted then, and have posted about them each fall. I call them my ‘Sweet Sweater Pumpkins’, and yes, I DO make them and sell them. The tutorial is at http://hummadeedledee.blogspot.com/2008/09/pumpkin-inspiration-tutorial.html. I’ve seen a lot of them being made & sold, and I have no problem with that… that’s why I shared the how-to!

It’s playing fair to credit someone for originating an idea, tho, and since I can do it for others, I just politely ask that they do it for me. ;0)

Deb

•  Anonymous #77149

I saw something at work and thought I would pass it on. The pumpkin said, “As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” I like that one and pumpkins are not my thing.

ALSO as far as pumpkins go…

Yum Yum Brownie Muffins

1 box devil’s food cake mix

1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:

Mix the two ingredients together. Don’t add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.

•  Anonymous #77133

i run into goodwill

check barb color for 1/2 off

a toss up between white, brown or dark ecru w/brown flecks sweater

nope….no oranges, not even yellow or green

wanting a prim-ish kind of look…i opt for the ecru

fly home and 1/2 hr later…begin to whiz up some pumpkins

pretty excited at how my “3rd try” has begun to look

down to the last finishing touches

when, lo and behold the youngest gets home and deflates my balloon

(or should i say pumpkin?)

uuuhhhhh, mom did you know that pumpkins are “o.r.a.n.g.e” ?????

well, yes but i wanted a different look to go with……………

“it looks stupid, mom” !!!!

(you all can’t see my pouty lip…or even my pumpkins cuz my camera is on the outs…but, i think my dark ecru with brown flecks pumpkins are pretty darned cute if i say so myself!! KIDS, what do they know?!!? lol 😉

•  Anonymous #77124

they are just the cutest and a quick project 😀

kudzu

•  Anonymous #77120

I thought she was very tactful in the way she asked to be credited. hey as long as she’ll let us use the idea, no problem Diane

•  Anonymous #77108

Thanks copperhead I havent’ figured out the links yet.

•  Anonymous #77102

link to her blog

http://hummadeedledee.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-with-show.html

there is a tutorial with pictures

and she wants credit

•  Anonymous #77101

it’ll help those who just take a glance at this site (and maybe don’t read the entire thread) to put a technique to the pics.

keep all the pumpkin pics coming, they’re adorable!!

•  Anonymous #77099

Ok I’ll do the best I can Gigi.

Start off with cutting off the sleeve of any old sweater. cut it oh how big you want it.

Turn it inside out. Take some twine or thread or yarn or whatever you want to use and wrap around from your thumb down to your elbow around and back up 16 times. cut one end of string to have open ends.

lay this twine inside your sweater with about an inch of the closed end of the sting at the widest part of your sweater sleeve. Take a big strong rubber band and twist it around a bundle you made of the end of the string and sweater end. Make it very very tight. turn sleeve right side out. now you have an open end and string hanging down from the other end. Stuff you pumpkin with whatever you have, socks, tissue paper, old dryer sheets, plastic etc to the firmness and height that you would like. flip pumpkin bottom up. divide your strings into 8 sections, 2 strings each and lay them down around the pumpkin. These will be your ridges when you pull the strings tight. gather all the string together at the neck and carefully flip pumpkin over. grab your rubber band and pull it around the neck very very very tight. too tight can’t be too tight. how far you go down to wrap rubberband around defines what length of stem you will have. now carefully take the 2 strands of string and pull them up tight to make a ridge in the pumkin. do this all the way around 8 times. tighter makes deeper ridges. Its up to you how you want it to look. Now you can decorate. You can take the extra strings and twist it around the base or you can twist it up the stem. I took more string and continued wrapping to make the curved stem. you can go halfway and leave it raw on the end. You can add buttons to the string or I had washers or you can do beads, tags, anything you want. I had letters that I hot glued on the baby one. I had some spider brads that I stuck into the stem of the one. I wrapped ribbon around the bases of two. The ideas are endless. I can’t wait to make more in different colors. I hope you can understand my directions. Never put to paper on how to do something.

Have fun Kris

•  Anonymous #77098

hey krisann22….why not put a quick tutorial on here as to how you made them (so others stopping in can make some if they don’t know where/how to look up hummadeedledees blog for hers)

you’re a pumpkin pro by now! ;}

i love the little signs you put on yours…..cute!!

•  Anonymous #77094

Thanks so much I had fun doing them. But now my cat loves the small one grabs it and bats it around. I will have to put them up higher.

•  Anonymous #77092

Very cute!

•  Anonymous #77091

i just saw these today too on a blog….i like the way you did the stems…cool

•  Anonymous #77090

I had such fun doing the one pumpkin that I made two more. The one pumpkin has little spiders on the stem, don’t know if you can make them out. I was looking for sweaters in dark green or a tweed but all I could find is the cream but Im looking forward to making them other colors. These two new ones I made more of a stem by wrapping it with the string and curving it as I wrapped. Best thing is no sew just rubberbands, string, some hot glue and whatever you got around the house to stuff them with. I used old dryer sheets, socks with holes even had a bunch of old gauze that was never used and some tissue paper. So not expensive at all. If anyone else makes some please post so I can see. Kris

•  Anonymous #77089

now i have to make an extra trip into town to see if goodwill has any white or orange sweaters!!!

how cute is that?? i love it!!

wondering if “stiffy” would help them hold up outside on a porch a bit better??

•  Anonymous #77088

Saw this a couple of weeks ago. Yours looks great especially the accessories with it. Good job. LuAnn

•  Anonymous #77087

really cute reuse! Lezlee

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.