The Story of the Outhouse

• Topic
  • Meadowview FarmMeadowview Farm #43819

It had been laying on its side, forgotten in a cemetary down the road from our farm…un-noticed until my husband (and partner in junking), Dave, spotted it. Hmmm — maybe it needed a new home. So, he called about until he found the Otter Creek/Thompson Valley Cemetary Board of Directors (yes this exits) — who took up “the adoption” at their next Board Meeting. It took six people to load it into a trailer and three of us to drop it at the new site on the edge of our apple orchard.

So…here’s is the “before” picture. We will begin work on it this next weekend — we had waited as a robin also adopted the apple fork we had set inside as the perfect place to raise two families this summer. Now they are off – so we can begin our work. We are planning on a tin roof and a dusty yellow paint once the outside is repaired. It will hold our apple picking supplies.

By the way…it was a two seater (chuckle chuckle) and still has the rusty toilet paper holder attached.

Kari

• Discussion
  •  Anonymous #79438

In my vast collection of really old junk I found a framed old cartoon (copy right Ed Hall) print of a man sitting in his ‘thrown’ room out back by the garden with this:

You may enjoy

your vacation,

In the mountains, on the lakes,

or beside the sea –

But I’m jest sittin’

here and wonderin,’

If you’ll be as

comfortable as me?

•  Anonymous #74973

Very funny!!

•  Anonymous #74967

LMAO!Just what I needed right now, a good laugh 🙂

•  Anonymous #74960

LOL…

•  Anonymous #74958

The story is told of a lady who was rather old-fashioned, always quite delicate and elegant, especially in her language. She and her husband were planning a week’s vacation in Florida, so she wrote to a particular campground asking for a reservation. She wanted to make sure the campground was fully equipped, but didn’t quite know how to ask about the toilet facilities. She just couldn’t bring herself to write the word “toilet” in her letter. After much deliberation, she finally came up with the old-fashioned term BATHROOM COMMODE. But when she wrote that down, she still thought she was being too forward. So she started all over again and rewrote the entire letter referring to the bathroom commode merely as the BC. “Does the campground have it’s own BC?” is what she actually wrote.

Well, the campground owner wasn’t old-fashioned at all, and when he got the letter, he just couldn’t figure out what the woman was talking about. That BC business really stumped him. After worrying about it for awhile, he showed the letter to several campers, but they couldn’t imagine what the lady meant either. So the campground owner, finally coming to the conclusion that the lady must be asking about he local Baptist Church, sat down and wrote the following reply:

Dear Madam:

I regret very much the delay in answering your letter, but I now take pleasure in informing you that a BC is located nine miles north of the campground and is capable of seating 250 people at one time. I admit it is quite a distance away, if you are in the habit of going regularly, but no doubt you will be pleased to know that a great number of people take their lunches along and make a day of it. They usually arrive early and stay late. It is such a beautiful facility and the acoustics are marvelous. Even the normal delivery sounds can be heard.

The last time my wife and I went was six years ago, and it was so crowded we had to stand up the whole time we were there. It may interest you to know that right now a

supper is planned to raise money to buy more seats.

I would like to say it pains me very much not to be able to go more regularly, but it surely is no lack of desire on my part. As we grow old, it seems to be more of an effort, particularly in cold weather.

If you do decide to come down to our campground, perhaps I could go with you the first time you go, sit with you, and introduce you to all the other folks.Remember, this is a friendly community.

Sincerely,

Campground Owner

•  Anonymous #74939

Hi & Welcome Spunky!!

•  Anonymous #74937

My father, a “junker extraordinaire” took an old “two seater” and made it into a picture frame for a photo of him and my mother. He used old barbed wire to hang it, and although my mother was not impressed, it really was pretty cute.

•  Anonymous #65702

I’m always on the lookout for those. Looks cool! You can also find some of the coolest old bottles if you knew where one used to be that just had the hole in the ground under it. Before they had garbage curb service lots of things when down the errrrrrrr, hole. Pun not intended.

•  Anonymous #65697

I love it! I saw an outhouse used as tool storage at a Salado, Texas, antiques shop. But it was new, not old. Yours is so much better…and cheaper, too!!

•  Anonymous #65654

It still needs things done to it, but can’t seem to find time with DD’s troubles and things…But I guess one of these days it will get there…I think there is a post with pic’s of it…I know what you mean about feeling forlorn…When I see anyone from Ky or Oh I get excited…

•  Anonymous #65645

Leveta,

I just read your profile. I guess you could say I am a pumpkin grower, too. Each year I place my rotted pumpkins in shallow soil. They seem to reseed quite easily. I feel proud because it is the only “produce” I have ever raised! Tried tomatoes once…they died. I like that you have a stand that you sell your produce and nuts from.

•  Anonymous #65642

Diane- how cute! Am looking forward to seeing it… I heard the characters have really grown up in this one…

•  Anonymous #65606

Blossom Lane I live about 20 west of Owensboro…Just a little town. I’ve been around here for 40 some odd yrs and it’s not changed to much…

•  Anonymous #65602

Well, what a KEWL toilet! LOL My DB (who’s a true junker, too) built his own new one. The grandkids kept the path worn out until the new wore off. It’s now sitting, in all its glory, down at his cabin and it is wonderfully decorated.

Hope you enjoy refurbishing and using yours. (Hey, wait, THAT sounds kind of odd! LOL)

•  Anonymous #65600

Hillbilly, took my son (16) and daughter #2 (18). As usual, great special effects but you just can’t fit the whole book in 2 1/2 hours. They had 6 screens showing. Saw an older lady, we’re talking 80 or better, leaving when the movie ended. that was too cute. And all the kids in the movie have definitely grown up. Good show. Diane

•  Anonymous #65596

Leveta,

Just read your note to me. I, too, noticed that you live in Kentucky. Four and a half hours away…hmmm…that’s got to be west of here.

I have noticed a lot of Junkers are from Nebraska, Minnesota, and Texas.

I was starting to feel forlorn! ha ha

Where, round about, are you located?

•  Anonymous #65592

oooh Diane- I so want to go see it… I started reading the book when it first came out… and now I’m trying to re-read it before I go see the movie… I still can’t find the time to sit down and read it…

Yeah- I could make the outhouse for the Junk Camp if we pick a spot that doesn’t have one!

•  Anonymous #65571

Just got in from the midnight showing of Harry Potter!!! Hillbilly I think you have enough wood to make a “4” seater!!! lol Diane

•  Anonymous #65559

well- i could get a great start on one with the wood i got for free now couldn’t I?!? I’d really earn my hillbilly name then!

•  Anonymous #65552

That is going to look so good! Wish I had one.

•  Anonymous #65539

We had a 2 seater at our cabin when I was a kid. Always had to check before going in for snakes. And I was 9 before we had a toilet inside our house! There was running water but nothing flushed. Yes I’m from West Virginia. That’s one of the things from the “good ole days” I don’t really miss. When my sister bought a second house that ended up being our shop she took the old out house to HER house and put it in her garden. It is now her “potty” (potting) shed. 😉 lol Diane

•  Anonymous #65531

BL I just noticed where you are from. We are about 4 1/2 hrs apart…

•  Anonymous #65530

What a great building. I love all kinds of “out buildings”. I live in a small sub and these are a “no-no” so I guess I can live vicariously through others. LuAnn

•  Anonymous #65529

And I thought I pushed the envelope in my quests for “treasures”. ha ha I admire your spunk. I have seen so many forlorn and abandoned buildings that I wanted to haul to my property for use. The best I could do was to gather lumber scraps from building sites in our area (with permission) for a special project for my daughter.

My father-in-law and I collected enough lumber to build an 8’x 8′ playhouse on the cheap. Most of the lumber DID have to buy, came from a building supply wholesale outlet. My daughter and I had a great time decorating her cottage with created and second hand finds…right down to her exterior shutters, window boxes, china and silver service! We have already made some great memories!

•  Anonymous #65528

Awesome save! Can’t wait to see it in its new life. What will you do with the seat???

•  Anonymous #65527

Great Find. I had one at my house upnorth and had to tear it down as it was too far gone to restore it. Would love to build a new one out of recycled lumber. Will have to put that on my DH to Do list: lol Living in Tenn outhouses are still in demand as we have lots of Amish in the area…………………..

•  Anonymous #65523

Kari – that is adorable. I can see this painted so many colors. I think the yellow will be so pretty and cheery. What a lucky find! I wish I had an outhouse…

Sue

•  Anonymous #65512

That is so darn cute…Can’t wait to see the after pic…

•  Anonymous #65504

what a great find !!!

•  Anonymous #65501

That will make a cute little storage building. Lucky you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.