glass insulator lamps

• Topic
  • dhmjr #43821

I’m new here so if this has already come up please just point the way. I saw some pictures of some hanging lamps made out of those old glass insulators that used to be on the top of telephone poles. Looked cool to me so I’d like to try it. Just need some advice on how to drill the glass for the cord.

Also looking at making some out of old mason jars. Leaning towards hanging them as well, but would probably have to cut the bottom out to let out the heat?

I have enjoyed the site alot and still have more to read.

Thanks, Doug

• Discussion
  •  Anonymous #86241

thanks for the picture, I like the blue one. How in the world would you drill a hole through that?!

•  Anonymous #86238

There are a number of lights that fall in this genre of industrial reassigned, made in USA products that are offered and posted as DIY or on ETSY. If style, craftsmanship, performance and NEC Code considerations are important, go with the original Insulatorlight and other related hardware products.

Keep on looking for cool, innovative made in USA upcycled product.

•  Anonymous #86237

There are a number of lights that fall in this genre of industrial reassigned, made in USA products that are offered and posted as DIY or on ETSY. If style, craftsmanship, performance and NEC Code considerations are important, go with the original Insulatorlight and other related hardware products.

•  Anonymous #86236

•  Anonymous #86235

•  Anonymous #86234

•  Anonymous #68263

Jean – oh my gosh, I had NO idea that there was so much that went into your tacks. You can trust me on this – I WON’T be borrowing your ideas on that. I already have the scrapbook stickers that I have been using on some things here and there and I thought that they looked close to what you use. I’ve put them inside dark buttons for a similar look, but just haven’t been able to get them to look like real keys. I’ll just keep re-imagining them here with found things around my junk room to see if I can make them a little more “real” looking. Congratulations on your Etsy success and nearly making the number one spot! What an accomplishment for you! I am so glad that they are such hot & unique sellers for you. Keep up the great work and thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Sue

•  Anonymous #68243

ooh I love all these ideas for insulators!

•  Anonymous #68107

Sue,

I don’t mind if you copy my insulator idea. Isn’t that what this site is about? Sharing and inspiring?

My faux typerwriter key thumbtacks……it took a LOT of trial and error to get these figured out and are a bit labor intensive. They have been my best seller on etsy thus far. They have been put in a couple of treasurys and ALMOST made the front page of etsy this week! I was alternate #2….so close.

I am willing to give “general” directions. How’s that? The graphics are stickers. The metal tacks I use come with a curved surface so I have to pound them flat on a anvil. The metal ring around the edge is hand wound(by my strong 19 year old son) around a steel rod, then carefully hand cut with a hand saw (by my husband). Each layer is glued on, and then the center is filled with a type of epoxy.

I have made these for a couple of people without the tack so that they can make jewelry or use them as imbellishments.

Jean

•  Anonymous #68079

I LOVE it and will quite possibly pilfer your idea for my craft shows here in Michigan if you don’t mind. Never on Etsy of course! I don’t see many of the brown insulators but find lots of the blue, green and clear here in MI.

Jean – I’m still curious to know how you do your typewriter key tacks. Are you willing to share that or is it quite the trade secret? If so I COMPLETLY understand!

Sue

•  Anonymous #68072

Okay – CUTE!!!!! Love it!!!

•  Anonymous #68067

That is a cute ideal…

•  Anonymous #68061

I like it!!

•  Anonymous #68058

Here is another idea for insulators. I took vintage molding, cut out three holes, added some vintage knobs for feet, and plopped in three insulators. It can be used to hold office supplies, candles, or flowers. I had never seen brown ceramic ones before and had to have them.

•  Anonymous #67767

I replaced the plastic covers on my Malibu type lights with insulators. They’re exactly the right size to cover the light bulb and put off a very pretty glow!

kudzu

•  Anonymous #65856

Di, reading your post cracks me up. I think we all are crack ups at times and thank GOD that the gals all roll with it and actually encourage a little strangeness sometimes! I’m so glad that I can let my hair down here at the Revolution. Oh, wait, I have short hair so I can’t let it down….hmmmm

Sue

•  Anonymous #65843

I have to tell you girls…since I’ve been on here I’m learning. Ya’ll are great teachers! I’m looking at things differently now.

•  Anonymous #65786

Hi gals

Even though I don’t post often, I love to come here to look at the pictures, and laugh at all your comments. You gals give me my good dose of laughter!!

Keep up the junking, laughing and being friends. Di

•  Anonymous #65774

Geez Maggie…we need to DEFINITELY enroll you in junk courses at junk camp…you will have a space reserved just for you front and center – and if you try to run, we will put you back there. LOLOL

•  Anonymous #65771

it’s not as heavy as electric fence wire…

Maggie- to I need to boot you again? Just like a child… never learn! LOL!!!

•  Anonymous #65767

Maggie,Maggie,Maggie….tisk,tisk,tisk….What are we going to do with you girl….lol

•  Anonymous #65756

Leveta, it looks like electric fence wire to me. Had a lot of that too & threw it away….

•  Anonymous #65753

umm- the kind at wal-mart!? I don’t know… 🙂 I’ve had it so long… nothing really thick though…

•  Anonymous #65732

Hillbilly what size wire did you use to make your hanger?? Gigi I’m kinda weird sometimes….lol

•  Anonymous #65721

OMGosh….I can’t wait! This is better than Christmas!

•  Anonymous #65719

if ya’ll just wait… some of them might wind up in the traveling box… hum… when will I get it? and who will get it after me?!?

•  Anonymous #65715

Guess I’ll just have to buy me some crystals! Don’t know what I’ll do with them, but I just gotta have some! LOL

•  Anonymous #65693

Maggie….I don’t even have words…LOLOL I’m kicking you like Kim did!!!

I love ALL of the insulator ideas!!!

•  Anonymous #65690

oh leveta home girl….you just crack me up!!! lol you are too much!! ;O

•  Anonymous #65689

Paintwife that macrame one is DA BOMB!!! Love it…

•  Anonymous #65687

My son found this huge one that is so very cool but I haven’t decided what I’ll do with it yet. It has a large bowl that will end up holding something.I thought about making a wood base for it but I also like the look of the large metal end ao I’d like to keep that at least partially exposed.

Linda

•  Anonymous #65686

I’ve fashioned a macrame’ hanger and hung a sprig of silk ivy in it.

•  Anonymous #65657

Since I’ve been on this forum I’ve thought of other things That I’ve thrown away.

That was a good kick Kim! LOL

•  Anonymous #65655

very cute hillbilly. i just bought some of them for .25 each

•  Anonymous #65638

LOL…OH MAGGIE!!!

•  Anonymous #65635

*woosh* there I kicked ya… and left a boot mark… silly girl!

•  Anonymous #65634

Somebody kick me please! I had an ugly old hanging lamp that I took down & put in the trash……crystals included. Grrrr

•  Anonymous #65603

Oh OK I see, Thank You…It sure adds to it…

•  Anonymous #65588

Leveta- My crystals came off my ExTrEmElY ugly living room chandelier that I took down when I moved in and each crystal had wire attachments at the top… I just wired the wire from the crystal to the wire I used to hang it… open the pix and zoom in and you should be able to see how I did it.

Super easy, only took me like 5 min!

•  Anonymous #65584

yea doug and bring some more guy friends…we need a mans perspective, too 😉

(just like being married tho….don’t know as we’ll use that perspective, we’d just like to hear it….LOL..LOL!!! ;O

•  Anonymous #65582

Thats true, but he never came back…Well Doug hope you stay around…Go to house warming and tell us about yourself…

•  Anonymous #65580

actually, i think there’s several guys….remember “arby” with his “mystery mold” ladies? (i begged him to bring more guys to the site.) 😉

•  Anonymous #65579

Hillbilly how did you hang the dangles??

•  Anonymous #65578

Thanks for the replies ladies. “First man here?” Lol, can’t believe I’m the only dude who likes junk.

•  Anonymous #65573

Both of those ideas are really cool!!! Don’t we all have a ton of those insulators hanging around. I’ll be trying both. Diane

•  Anonymous #65568

yep- cheap way to do something with the hundreds of insulators lying around…

•  Anonymous #65566

Love that – what a great idea!

•  Anonymous #65565

I’ve made some tea light holders with the insulators… I just used wire to hang them on my front porch… here’s a pix

•  Anonymous #65542

YES thank you…I have of those and when everyone else quits needing DH’s time, I’m going to have him cut me some squares out of cedar…

•  Anonymous #65533

Is this the pic

•  Anonymous #65526

Well everything but the pic…

•  Anonymous #65525

Welcome Doug, I think you may be the first man here… WOOHOO…LOL…If your talking about the small glass insulators, on another site I also follow they take them and make a base and put a string of i’d say 10 lights and stick them inside then put them on the base with the cord out the back. No drilling…

Blogs

Garden Voices Forums

Garden Forums Home Forums Nature Forums Photo Galleries

Garden Galleries Home Galleries Ask The Experts

Tools & Directories

GardenWeb Shopping Organization Directory Events Calendar Hortiplex Glossary Zone Finder Garden Bazaar

Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Insulator Twinkle Lights clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

PrintPage

Posted by jeannespines 4 Iowa (My Page) on Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 11:23

I know some of you GJers used these “insulators” for outdoor lighting and I got 3 last mo. at TS. I saw this idea in Country Home mag. My DH cut some 2×4 scraps & I sanded to round the edges & stained them cherry. Then purchased at Hobby Lobby label holders (scrapbk section). Added some pine greenery to cover wire of twinkle lights. This looks very “wintery” (which I am sick of!) but will use it on my porch with pussy willow branches (if & when Spring gets here)…and potted plants! Fun project! Jeanne S.

“Twinkle” Single Insulator:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.