First show ever, need help!

• Topic
  • lucylou1 #44992

I’m doing my first EVER outdoor fair and I’m having trouble coming up with creative ideas to display. I have Garden Totems, both that sit on the ground and the ones that go on a piece of pipe, “Dripping” Teapots, and a variety of flowers planted in various unique containers and also Garden Chair Planters, which will take care of themselves. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

• Discussion
  •  Anonymous #80185

be fun to duct tape one in there somewhere… LOL

•  Anonymous #80182

Hopeandjoy…that’s funny! Same thing would have happened if it were my daughter.

Copper..you poor thing!! That’s awful. I wonder what the next person thought when they walked in and saw blood dripped in there!

At an antique/flea show we were carrying around walkie talkies to communicate (before cell phones) and one dropped in! From the other one we kept talking in it at times like “help me out!!” “no, no, don’t sit!!” “it’s dark down here!!!” Never did find out if anyone could hear it or not. Have no idea how it landed :) But, we got a kick out of imagining people hearing it!

•  Anonymous #80181

Heading back for my last day. My daughter (19) ran my booth yesterday morning while I went to an estate sale (which for once was gllloooorious! I have been to some klinkers lately) I came back w/ a burger for her/us and she said the guys set up across the way had invited her over for grilled burgers. I told her I never got a burger and she said ,”maybe if YOU wore a tube top!” lol..I told her if I did they’d probably say..”Ma’am..if you put your shirt back ON will give you a burger!”

•  Anonymous #80176

hilarious video! I like how they look behind them like..was there another door? LOL..I’d be baffled too!

•  Anonymous #80149

The ‘sink’ or ‘purse holder’ is why they put the ^#$%!@#%$%&%^*& torture hook on the door – so you can reach it when you are sitting down… yeah sure… Now mind you some places have the hooks busted out… Just beware of the ^#$%!@#%$%&%^*& torture hooks… I NEVER carry a purse in ANY bathroom that isn’t in my house. Well, I never really carry a purse if I can help it. I lose purses… I wear jeans – they just better have deep enough pockets for all my stuff… so it don’t fall out… Still cracks me up about the potty truck driver saying they had to fish some false teeth out and they guy wanted them….. ssssooooooo NOT me – once it’s been in there it’s stayin’… I know teeth aren’t cheap but puke in the ‘purse holder’ next time… did you like the video??? I about rolled on the floor at that one.

•  Anonymous #80148

My mom..who doesn’t get out much… went to an estate auction with us and was complaining that there was no water in the “sink”..I said that is because that is a urinal! She freaked..she had sat her purse in it..lol..that still cracks be up!

•  Anonymous #80147

Copperhead..you win! My worst was at an antique/estate auction in Indiana. It was 102 and they had the portapotty set up in the sun. It was SOOOOO hot in there I just was instantly sweaty and they always make me a bit claustrophobic. I got my jeans down but then trying to get them back up was like that episode of Friends w/ Ross and the leather pants..it was awful! I just wanted OUT! I finally got them mostly up and just burst out..I think I startled the guy who was waiting to go next! 8 stitches is still the winner though!

•  Anonymous #80144

go ahead and laugh – it is a bit funny if it isn’t just happening…

•  Anonymous #80141

Oh Copperhead sorry but rotflmao! I fortunatly have not had you bad luck with portapotties, just the normal gross and sometimes had to drip dry.

•  Anonymous #80133

Oh I HATE HATE HATE portapotties… One of my earliest traumatic childhood memories was sitting on a two holer and getting stung by a wasp…. I opened a portapottie door once and there was an old man sitting there… yikes – ran like the dickens… Once was waiting for the truck to finish up. Ahead of me was a pregnant lady. She went in and then started screaming. She had her cell phone in her bibbs… yeah it fell in…. She was due any day… the truck guy says you can’t believe what people drop in there – teeth being one of them…. not to mention the normal stuff….. More recently, in January, I got my nose caught on a door hook – just an inch or so below nose level… Bled like crazy – couldn’t get my pants back up… Had 8 stitches… Seriously considering Depends…

and finally my greatest fear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjRjaq6PuQ&feature=related

•  Anonymous #80132

Oh I HATE HATE HATE portapotties… One of my earliest traumatic childhood memories was sitting on a two holer and getting stung by a wasp…. I opened a portapottie door once and there was an old man sitting there… yikes – ran like the dickens… More recently, in January, I got my nose caught on a door hook – just an inch or so below nose level… Had 8 stitches… Bled like crazy – couldn’t get my pants back up… Seriously considering Depends or something…

•  Anonymous #80129

I did day one of a 4 day very “country” flea market today. Got hit on by a 70 year old man and got to visit the scariest portapotty EVER complete with another old guy trying to barge in while I was in there trying to pull up my pants and not touch anything and yelling “I am IN here!” I sweated in places I never want to sweat in again..ewww! Did sell some stuff LOL. I will be rationing my liquids tomarrow!

•  Anonymous #80128

I did day one of a 4 day very “country” flea market today. Got hit on by a 70 year old man and got to visit the scariest portapotty EVER complete with another old guy trying to barge in while I was in there trying to pull up my pants and not touch anything and yelling “I am IN here!” I sweated in places I never want to sweat in again..ewww! Did sell some stuff LOL. I will be rationing my liquids tomarrow!

•  Anonymous #80119

you might want to search this site for more stuff on sales… there is some pretty good stuff on here!

•  Anonymous #80113

You can use a bucket of sand to stick the pipes in for your totems. Drape some burlap or fabric around it to hide the bucket.

•  Anonymous #80104

who was it that displayed their totems in an upside down milk crate? Just put the pipes through the holes.

•  Anonymous #80102

Thanks to all! Everyone is so clever and helpful!

•  Anonymous #80099

oh yes..directions..just sit the ladders up facing each other and slide 1″x12″x8foot (or 6 foot)boards through the steps. I tried it out the day before on my carport to make sure it would work (thought it up the night before)and I was glad I did..the MDF boards I was going to use sagged something crazy and I made sure to use real wood. Plus I painted the ladders. Old wooden crates also work great if you have any. You can fill them to carry things to the show and stack them for display units.

•  Anonymous #80098

I did a show on Saturday and will be doing a 4-5 day flea market starting tomarrow. I used step ladders and boards to make shelving units. They are totally collapsible and I had the ladders and boards so I didn’t have to buy anything. Of course I DID have to paint the wooden ladders a pretty jadeite green. One ladder was aluminum so that was left as is. I just blogged about it yesterday and posted lots of pics. I used 4 shelves so I could put taller things on the ground beneath. I haul a lot of smalls so I buy, use and sell vintage suitcases. I pack them full. I also filled 2 same size big totes and after I emptied them, placed them side by side and layed more boards across the top and covered w/ a tablecloth to make a large thigh high table.You could do somehing similar w/ a chunk of lattice to have holes to put your staked things through.

http://www.hopeandjoyhome.blogspot.com

It is supposed to be in the 90’s tomarrow…I will be sweating from places nobody should sweat from! Flea Markets are dirty work! Good luck! Julia

•  Anonymous #80097

Lucy, I don’t have any display advice for you. Just wanted to wish you much success in your show!

•  Anonymous #80090

Thank you for the tips, they are appreciated!

•  Anonymous #80088

Hi LucyLou, it sounds like you have some great items. I was thinking of doing this on the outside of my trade days booth and it may be an option for you. if you have time, you might see if you can get a section of privacy fencing (I’ve seen lots given away (FREE>> yay) on Craigslist. You could build some support beams on the backside to keep it standing and then you could attach old barn wood type shelves for your unique container plants. THis would give your booth a garden feel. For the totums a lady at our trade days sell them and displays the ones with pipes in gavanized tubs filled with soil and plants or buckets if you didn’t want to tote around the tubs. I hope your show is successful. Betsy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.