Featured expert DEBI BEARD of DEBI’S DESIGN DIARY answers your questions on the topic of HOW-TO VIDEOS: TIPS FOR ON-CAMERA SUCESS!

• Topic
  • KiKi #87651

Hello! I’m excited to introduce DEBI BEARD of DEBI’S DESIGN DIARY as our featured expert here on the KI NASSAUER Community! Debi will answer your questions on the topic of HOW-TO VIDEOS: TIPS FOR ON-CAMERA SUCESS!

Here’s how it works:

Feel free to post your questions for Debi NOW through Friday, February 13th, 2015. Debi will check-in and answer Qs Monday, February 9th through Friday, February 13th.

Let the discussion begin! Have fun and happy junking!

-Ki

Meet Debi and get tips now:

Read about Debi:

Debi Beard

Debi owns and operates House Vintage, a fancy junk and repurposed furniture shop in Solana Beach, CA. This 1920s storybook cottage also serves as a colorful film set and headquarters for her weekly video series on YouTube, Debi’s Design Diary.

Debi’s videos were born out of frustration. After auditioning for HGTV and almost being cast several years in a row, Debi decided to produce her own one-woman show and began uploading DIY videos to her YouTube channel. As an introvert and non-tech-savvy artist, Debi believes that anyone can create engaging video content. Debi’s quirky style and offbeat persona is followed by over 53 thousand subscribers and her videos have 2.5 million views. Each week she shows her viewers how to turn roadside castoffs into fun and functional decor. Debi’s shop and tutorials have been featured in Where Women Create, Coastal Living magazine, Extreme Home Makeover and HGTV Handmade. You can find Debi’s fun videos and tutorials at debisdesigndiary.com.

debi by window

• Discussion
  • Ki Ki #87674

A big thanks to Debi Beard for her expert advice re: How to-videos: tips for on camera success! I hope you all learned a lot- I know I did!

Debi’s work on the Community is done- but don’t be shy! Feel free to continue the discussion right here with other community members and check out the sidebar for upcoming experts.

Thanks again Debi! Happy Junking.

-Ki

•  taylor #87669

Debi,

You mentioned using iMovie and/or Final Cut. I’ve poked around on iMovie before and although I consider myself to be moderately technologically inclined- I found I was completely lost. Are you self-taught on these programs or do you suggest taking a class? Any other tips for learning how to use these programs? Although I’m not planning on doing how-to videos- I’d love to create some videos for our business to post on social media.

Thanks Debi!

Taylor
    kinassauer.com

•  Debi Beard #87670

Hi Taylor!
      I’m not at all tech savvy, and it can seem confusing at the start. After the initial learning curve I found both iMovie and Final Cut are user friendly even for a slow learner like myself. I took several group classes at my local Apple Store, the classes are extremely helpful and there are some great tutorials on Youtube as well! For more in depth training I’ve heard that lynda.com and rippletraining.com are good resources. Editing video is very similar to making a scrapbook, you crop out all of the distractions, and elements that are not appealing, take whats left and tell a story in the best light possible. Music and after effects enhance your story in the same way that backgrounds, beautiful scrapbook paper and text enhance a photo album or a magazine. I begin my editing process by marking all of the clips I like as favorites, after that I click, ‘show favorites only’ and begin arranging my clips on the storyline. This simple step for me was huge time saver as I didn’t have to keep sorting through clips that I didn’t want. I hope this is helpful, i’d love to see some more video content here!

• Ruth Ruth #87668

Hi Debi!!!! We are thrilled to have you as our Featured Expert!!!!! I have made a couple of short videos, just some snippets of an estate sale that I am preparing for. They are not staged, it is the real deal as it is happening, which is what I am going for, I think!! lol. When viewing my video’s I am not happy with the way I sound, not that I can do much about the Southern accent and the way I normally talk, it is what it is!!! How do I put these videos together and make them one, is this possible? Also, after you upload to You Tube, do you do your editing there, or do you upload to another site for the editing? Is there a way to turn down the volume of your voice? I know that sounds silly, but there a couple of times when I sound really loud. Is this just something I need to work on, in realizing how I sound? Maybe you can give me a few tips!!! Thank you!

•  Debi Beard #87671

Hi Ruth!
      Thanks for having me, this is so much fun!
      First I must say that I LOVE estate sales! I have attended many and I’ve seen some crazy things happen at a a good sale! As a matter of fact I have some very funny estate sale stories I should tell you!
      The idea to shoot video during a sale is awesome! As for not liking the sound of your voice, I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who enjoys the sound of their own voice recorded and played back, we don’t sound the same to ourselves when speaking, so it’s usually a surprise to hear how we actually sound. A good tip is to remind yourself to speck in a low tone, when we get excited a natural tendency is to raise the pitch and speak higher than normal. Try to avoid using a high pitch, studies show that a low voice will capture attention and sound more appealing and confident. This is a reminder I give myself a lot and it works!
      You can adjust the sound in editing, I have a soft voice and usually adjust the volume in my clips as you want to have an even tone through out the video. It’s pretty easy to edit clips together from several different events before you upload to Youtube, if you have a Mac iMovie comes with your computer and it’s fairly simple once you get used to it. If you have a PC I’ve heard that windows movie maker is good too. BTW if you have plans to purchase a new Mac in the future, you can sign up for their one-to-one program , this gives you unlimited access to daily classes at your local Apple store the cost is $100 for the year. I have attended 60+ Apple classes to learn a variety of things in the last three years, the trainers are super patient and will teach you just about anything from editing to selling on Ebay, it is hands down the best $100 I have ever spent. I hope this was helpful 🙂

• Ruth Ruth #87672

Debi,
        Thank you so much! You are so very knowledgeable on this subject. You know it can be very intimidating, when trying to learn something new. I always feel that that way in the beginning, but the more I practice the better it usually gets. Thank you for the tip on keeping my voice at a low tone. I will have to concentrate more on trying to do that. You are so right, when I get excited, which is always, I get loud, and high pitched. I will have to reign that in some!!! Ha, ha!! I will keep practicing. I do not have a Mac, but WOW I love the idea of the classes. It sounds like you can really learn a lot. I had no idea!! I will check out the Windows Movie Maker as well. Thank you so much!!!

•  Baileemom #87665

Hi Debi! I’ve been watching your videos forever! I love the music you choose. It’s funky & perfect for your videos. How do you decide what song to choose? Is their a special website that has good music to choose from?

•  Debi Beard #87666

Hi Baileemom,
      Thanks for watching! I think good music is really important for video, it helps to set the tone and it connects the scenes together. I use audiojungle.com and my network provides me with a music library from audionetwork.com
      I spend a lot of time sorting through audio files, if a song hits me , I’ll download it even if it doesn’t fit the current project, i know I’ll have it in my files for the future. Most music sites will allow you to create a favorites file, for songs you think you might purchase later, this is really helpful as looking for music takes a lot of time.

•  paulablank #87664

Hi Debi,

My question is how do you decide on the topics of your next video project? Do you feel you have covered the same projects over and over or are you always looking for inspiration from any unusual resources as I find myself often doing?

We love you here and always look forward to see what you are doing next! You always inspire me. xoxo

•  Debi Beard #87667

Hi Paula,
      Thank you!
      Like you, I’m always racking my brain for fun and unusual projects… making one video is about 40 hours of work, I know that if I’m not totally excited about the project it will be hard to complete it. If the idea is new and I think that my viewers will be excited to see it, I have the motivation to complete the project. I keep a file in my phone full of ideas for future videos, when inspiration hits I record it right then or I’ll forget… too many ideas 🙂 I have some really fun DIY’s coming up that I’ve never seen done before, I can’t wait to get working on them!

•  josipaint #87660

I’m sitting here trying to decide what questions to ask you and the silliest thing popped into my head. I’m trying to shake it off but realize maybe it’s not so silly seeing that I have a daughter that’s a photographer and I know she advises people on this subject.
    As I’m watching you and listening to you I found myself thinking how pretty your lipstick is. What a great shade of color without it screaming at you. How do you decide on something like your cosmetic colors?
    How do you decide what you’re going to wear or what colors should you stay away from?
    Do you think about the jewelry you’re going to wear so that the light doesn’t bounce off of it and create a glare?
    Does your lighting play a big part in the colors you choose for your videos?
    Thanks Debi I love watching you! You have such a way of making me laugh at loud.

•  Debi Beard #87662

Thanks Josi!
      My lipstick and makeup a lot heavier than how I wear it in real life 🙂 It looks very subtle on camera but much darker in person. I use the colors and shades that I normally wear, I just use a lot more otherwise I tend to look washed out on camera. As for clothing solid colors seem to look better than a print, often I film in my studio, which has a vintage patterned rug, if I wear a print I clash with the rug 🙂 I would choose something that you feel comfortable in and makes you happy! I don’t worry too much about clothing, most of mine has paint on it but the camera doesn’t pick that up most of the time. Sometimes I even wear a cute top and PJ bottoms because the PJ’s are cropped out 🙂

•  bcrousore #87659

Hi Debi – what software do you use for editing your video? Also, you have mentioned that you like pic-monkey for editing pictures – is this a free application?
    I have been following you for a couple of years now – love your videos. Thank you so much!

•  Debi Beard #87661

Hi Beth!
      I used iMovie to get started and recently jumped over to Final Cut, both are very intuitive, Final cut is a little bit more involved however once I learned how to use it my editing time was cut in half. Pic monkey is a great and free for editing photos!
      Thanks for watching and for the great question!

•  Debi Beard #87658

Thanks for the great Q! I always shoot a lot more than I need, typically two hours for one video.
    I do this because often there are just a few takes (or moments) that I like. If you take photos then you know that it takes several pics to get the one great beauty shot, and the same is true for video. I don’t use story boards, but I do have a basic format that I refer to most of the time.
    I think that its important to have a lot of different shots to cut back and forth to, this keeps the viewer watching. I shoot an intro as well as lot of me explaining the steps, then I shoot B-roll which is close shots of the project being made. In editing I cut between the talking head, and the B-roll I try to avoid long shots of the same thing because this is where you can loose the attention of your viewer.

•  Lovelyretrorenos #87657

Id love to hear your favorite tips about editing and how many “hours” of footage you take to actually get a 6 minute video. Do you create any story boards before had or do you just wing it knowing the gist of what you want to talk about? Love your style Debi thanks for sharing!

•  Debi Beard #87663

Thanks for the great Q! I always shoot a lot more than I need, typically two hours for one video.
      I do this because often there are just a few takes (or moments) that I like. If you take photos then you know that it takes several pics to get the one great beauty shot, and the same is true for video. I don’t use story boards, but I do have a basic format that I refer to most of the time.
      I think that its important to have a lot of different shots to cut back and forth to, this keeps the viewer watching. I shoot an intro as well as lot of me explaining the steps, then I shoot B-roll which is close shots of the project being made. In editing I cut between the talking head, and the B-roll I try to avoid long shots of the same thing because this is where you can loose the attention of your viewer

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.